WHAT TO EAT AFTER A WORKOUT AND WHY…..
We get asked this question a lot by our clients. So we thought we’d share our answers to help you achieve the best results….
Firstly carbs are not the enemy! A decent amount of good carbs and protein after exercise is essential. It stimulates muscle protein synthesis, improves recovery and enhances performance. It will also keep you fuller for longer – therefore stopping the urge to eat unhealthy snacks!
Try to eat within 20-45 minutes after working out for maximum benefit. This takes planning, but you’ll be grateful when you see results. Also drink plenty of water!
So here are our FIVE winning go-to snacks and meals to eat after a workout – all contain a perfect blend of carbs, protein and good fat.
- Omelette with avocado and rye bread
- Oats with almond milk and banana
- Rye bread with peanut butter
- Salmon and sweet potato
- A power shake: Chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, super greens, chia seeds, banana, water. Mix it altogether and whizz in a blender.
FIVE things to avoid eating after a workout:
- Raw vegetables. Yes you read that right. After training you’ll have lost a lot of nutrients and minerals. Raw veggies are simply not substantial enough to replenish you.
- Pastries. They’re loaded with fat and unhealthy carbs. Instead go for rye bread, oats, brown rice or sweet potato.
- Chocolate. Your body would’ve lost loads of sugars during your workout and it’ll cry out to be replenished. Ignore it. Chocolate is also full of fat. If you must have sugar go for fruit, or in the worst case, one square of dark chocolate with over 80% cocoa.
- Energy bars – a huge majority are laden with bad sugar. This is the case for so called protein bars too – check their sugar content!
- Salty snacks. Again – your body has lost a lot of salt – it’s crying out to replenish potassium. But those salty snacks are full of fat. Opt instead for the trusty banana, which has high potassium levels.
We’ll be sharing our hints and tips on what to eat and why BEFORE a workout shortly. Until then, we’re sending you heaps of healthy, happy vibes and hope to see you on the White Isle soon.
Claire & James x